Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Read Label....

I remember the days when my alarm would wake me in the morning and I'd roll over upset at having to wake up. I'd get in the shower, get dressed and leave the house with allowance in hand, bookbag on my back and duffle bag on my shoulder...yelling bye to my mom before I went to hop on the 45. The days when my biggest worries were making it to Upward Bound on time and doing well at basketball practice...what I was gonna wear to school and getting the signs together for Sign Language ministry...the days when I thought life was hard but really had no idea! As I looked down at my keys today I noticed an inscription on my clip '...not made for climbing'...and I thought how clever...because truly anyone who has ever been rock climbing or camping knows that those keychain clips look very similar to the ones used in the outdoors and the inscription warns you NOT MADE FOR CLIMBING so you don't make any mistakes...What about life?...where are the labels and insciptions for life?? Like...'don't drive that car'...because ultimately it has faulty breaks and you will crash. Or...'don't apply for that credit card'...becuase ultimately you will be late on your bill and your name will be sent to the credit bureau ruining opportunities for you for years to come! Or...'don't apply to that school'...because ultimately they will lose their accredidation and your degree will mean NOTHING...

Labels...inscriptions...directions...instructions...words written in sentences that form phrases and paragraphs warning me, warning us all about the woes of adulthood!! WHERE ARE THE LABELS???

No comments: